The church building having been constructed in 1859, is older than the congregation of Palmyra. The building, which originally stood on a Main Street lot in Riverton, was removed to the site where the buildings of Christ Church, Riverton now stand, and finally, in 1885, to its present location here in Palmyra. It took forty days for the building to be moved onto the site it now occupies; the transfer finally being accomplished in January, 1885. The Parry Avenue property was donated to Christ Church by W.E. Morgan, one of the participants at the preliminary meeting and an early resident of Palmyra. On Friday, May 8, 1885 the Right Reverend John Scarborough rededicated the church building as a place of worship for those Episcopalians living in Palmyra. The first Sunday service at Christ Church, Palmyra was held on Sunday May 10, 1885 and was conducted by the Reverend Dr. H. Hastings Weld. The church building shares with Westfield Friends Meeting House, the distinction of being the oldest ecclesiastical structures in constant use in this vicinity. There have been 30 rectors of Christ Church since its beginning in 1884.
Christ Episcopal Church, Palmyra is a small church that works to respond to individual needs for worship, education, fellowship and community service. Our church is open to all regardless of age, marital status, color, or creed.
Our parishioners continue to be active in the community in their support of larger outreach programs such as: Habitat for Humanity, Episcopal Relief and Development, support of the United Thank Offering, the Adopt-A-Family Christmas program, Catholic Charities weekly donations of food items and school supplies, the Evergreen Retirement Home, various Girl Scout troops, use of the parish hall to various organizations, and supporting various walks in the community including the Breast Cancer Awareness 3 Day Walk.
Our parish family is small today, however, the outreach is greater than in some larger churches. Individuals, families and visitors are free to be involved in as much or as little of our church as they wish. We are proud to say that every one of our current members proudly contributes to the stewardship of our small church both financially and/or with their talents.